Welcome to the Center for Microbial Systems, Ecology and Evolution
Microbiological research takes place in different schools, colleges and departments at University of Connecticut (UConn) and at the University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC). In aggregate these researchers provide an impressive resource for know-how on microorganisms, their ecology, physiology, and evolution.
Genomics and proteomic technologies have revolutionized the ways microbial systems are studied. Researchers at UConn have developed and use an array of techniques, ranging from measurements of gas concentration in natural and engineered microbial communities to proteomics and metagenomic studies. Our goals is to help foster collaboration between UConn's microbiologists and to help other researchers to find UCONN scientists with specific skill sets.
The excellent reputation, scholarly success and collaborative work of the UConn microbiology community provide the foundation for the Center for Microbial Systems, Ecology and Evolution. This Center will provide on umbrella to take advantage of training grant opportunities and further multiple investigator grants. Microbiology at UConn is already well known to investigators outside the University as evidenced by current grant support and the placement of our PhD graduates. The CMSEE will allow UConn to expand this recognition on the national level.
Recent publications in PubMed
- Synthesis and Characterization of Preacinetobactin and 5-Phenyl Preacinetobactin. Bray JM, Pierce S, Angeles-Boza AM, Peczuh MW Molecules (Basel, Switzerland) (2022) 27(12): 10.3390/molecules27123688
- Transcriptomic Responses of Upon Treatments of -Cinnamaldehyde, Carvacrol, and Eugenol. Ranjitkar S, Duan JE, Srirattana K, Alqahtani F, Tulman ER, Mandoiu I, Venkitanarayanan K, Tian X Frontiers in microbiology (2022) 13:888433 PMC9207385 10.3389/fmicb.2022.888433
- Detecting and removing sample contamination in phylogenomic data: an example and its implications for Cicadidae phylogeny (Insecta: Hemiptera). Owen CL, Marshall DC, Wade EJ, Meister R, Goemans G, Kunte K, Moulds M, Hill K, Villet M, Pham TH, Kortyna M, Lemmon EM, Lemmon AR, Simon C Systematic biology (2022) : 10.1093/sysbio/syac043
- Dynamic plastid and mitochondrial genomes in Chaetopeltidales (Chlorophyceae) and characterization of a new chlorophyte taxon. Robison T, Nelson JM, Hauser DA, Lewis LA, Li FW American journal of botany (2022) 109(6):939-951 10.1002/ajb2.16015
- The B-box1 domain of PML mediates SUMO E2-E3 complex formation through an atypical interaction with UBC9. Bregnard T, Ahmed A, Semenova IV, Weller SK, Bezsonova I Biophysical chemistry (2022) 287:106827 10.1016/j.bpc.2022.106827