Welcome to the Center for Microbial Systems, Ecology and Evolution
Microbiological research takes place in different schools, colleges and departments at University of Connecticut (UConn) and at the University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC). In aggregate these researchers provide an impressive resource for know-how on microorganisms, their ecology, physiology, and evolution.
Genomics and proteomic technologies have revolutionized the ways microbial systems are studied. Researchers at UConn have developed and use an array of techniques, ranging from measurements of gas concentration in natural and engineered microbial communities to proteomics and metagenomic studies. Our goals is to help foster collaboration between UConn's microbiologists and to help other researchers to find UCONN scientists with specific skill sets.
The excellent reputation, scholarly success and collaborative work of the UConn microbiology community provide the foundation for the Center for Microbial Systems, Ecology and Evolution. This Center will provide on umbrella to take advantage of training grant opportunities and further multiple investigator grants. Microbiology at UConn is already well known to investigators outside the University as evidenced by current grant support and the placement of our PhD graduates. The CMSEE will allow UConn to expand this recognition on the national level.
Recent publications in PubMed
- Distribution Patterns of Ciliate Diversity in the South China Sea. Liu W, McManus GB, Lin X, Huang H, Zhang W, Tan Y Frontiers in microbiology (2021) 12:689688 PMC8446678 10.3389/fmicb.2021.689688
- Applied ecoimmunology: using immunological tools to improve conservation efforts in a changing world. Ohmer MEB, Costantini D, Czirják GÁ, Downs CJ, Ferguson LV, Flies A, Franklin CE, Kayigwe AN, Knutie S, Richards-Zawacki CL, Cramp RL Conservation physiology (2021) 9(1):coab074 PMC8422949 10.1093/conphys/coab074
- Survival on Peaches and Nectarines under Conditions Simulating Commercial Stone-Fruit Packinghouse Operations. Kuttappan D, Muyyarikkandy MS, Mathew E, Amalaradjou MA International journal of environmental research and public health (2021) 18(17): PMC8431221 10.3390/ijerph18179174
- High Resolution Analysis of Proteome Dynamics during Sporulation. Tu Z, Dekker HL, Roseboom W, Swarge BN, Setlow P, Brul S, Kramer G International journal of molecular sciences (2021) 22(17): PMC8431406 10.3390/ijms22179345
- Fatty acid metabolism and colon cancer protection by dietary methyl donor restriction. Aladelokun O, Hanley M, Mu J, Giardina JC, Rosenberg DW, Giardina C Metabolomics : Official journal of the Metabolomic Society (2021) 17(9):80 PMC8416812 10.1007/s11306-021-01831-1