Publications: J. Evan Ward
- The interactive effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles and light on heterotrophic bacteria and microalgae associated with marine aggregates in nearshore waters.
Haynes VN, Ward JE
Marine environmental research (2020) 161:105146 10.1016/j.marenvres.2020.105146
- Direct Comparison of Fecal and Gut Microbiota in the Blue Mussel (Mytilus edulis) Discourages Fecal Sampling as a Proxy for Resident Gut Community.
Griffin TW, Baer JG, Ward JE
Microbial ecology (2020) 81(1):180-192 10.3354/meps038201
- Gut Microbiomes of the Eastern Oyster () and the Blue Mussel (): Temporal Variation and the Influence of Marine Aggregate-Associated Microbial Communities.
Pierce ML, Ward JE
mSphere (2019) 4(6): PMC6908423 10.1128/mSphere.00730-19
- Selective Ingestion and Egestion of Plastic Particles by the Blue Mussel () and Eastern Oyster (): Implications for Using Bivalves as Bioindicators of Microplastic Pollution.
Ward JE, Zhao S, Holohan BA, Mladinich KM, Griffin TW, Wozniak J, Shumway SE
Environmental science & technology (2019) 53(15):8776-8784 10.1021/acs.est.9b02073
- Sediment organic carbon and temperature effects on methylmercury concentration: A mesocosm experiment.
Buckman KL, Seelen EA, Mason RP, Balcom P, Taylor VF, Ward JE, Chen CY
The Science of the total environment (2019) 666:1316-1326 PMC6461384 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.02.302
- Field-Based Evidence for Microplastic in Marine Aggregates and Mussels: Implications for Trophic Transfer.
Zhao S, Ward JE, Danley M, Mincer TJ
Environ. Sci. Technol. (2018) 52(19):11038-11048 10.1021/acs.est.8b03467
- Comparative toxicity of Corexit 9500, oil, and a Corexit/oil mixture on the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin).
Jasperse L, Levin M, Tsantiris K, Smolowitz R, Perkins C, Ward JE, De Guise S
Aquat. Toxicol. (2018) 203:10-18 10.1016/j.aquatox.2018.07.015
- Acute exposure to TiO nanoparticles produces minimal apparent effects on oyster, Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin), hemocytes.
Doyle JJ, Ward JE, Wikfors GH
Mar. Pollut. Bull. (2018) 127:512-523 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.12.039
- The contribution of marine aggregate-associated bacteria to the accumulation of pathogenic bacteria in oysters: an agent-based model.
Kramer AM, Ward JE, Dobbs FC, Pierce ML, Drake JM
Ecol Evol (2017) 6(20):7397-7408 (PMC5513250) 10.1002/ece3.2467
- Photocatalytic effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on aquatic organisms-Current knowledge and suggestions for future research.
Haynes VN, Ward JE, Russell BJ, Agrios AG
Aquat. Toxicol. (2017) 185:138-148 10.1016/j.aquatox.2017.02.012
- An examination of the factors influencing mercury and methylmercury particulate distributions, methylation and demethylation rates in laboratory-generated marine snow.
Ortiz VL, Mason RP, Ward JE
Mar Chem (2015) 177(Pt 5):753-762 (PMC4669965) 10.1016/j.marchem.2015.07.006
- An examination of the ingestion, bioaccumulation, and depuration of titanium dioxide nanoparticles by the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) and the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica).
Doyle JJ, Ward JE, Mason R
Mar. Environ. Res. (2015) 110:45-52 10.1016/j.marenvres.2015.07.020
- Modulation of pumping rate by two species of marine bivalve molluscs in response to neurotransmitters: Comparison of in vitro and in vivo results.
Frank DM, Deaton L, Shumway SE, Holohan BA, Ward JE
Comp. Biochem. Physiol., Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. (2015) 185:150-8 10.1016/j.cbpa.2015.03.015
- False positives in Biolog EcoPlates™ and MT2 MicroPlates™ caused by calcium.
Pierce ML, Ward JE, Dobbs FC
J. Microbiol. Methods (2013) 97:20-4 10.1016/j.mimet.2013.12.002
- Early host-pathogen interactions in marine bivalves: evidence that the alveolate parasite Perkinsus marinus infects through the oyster mantle during rejection of pseudofeces.
Allam B, Carden WE, Ward JE, Ralph G, Winnicki S, Pales Espinosa E
J. Invertebr. Pathol. (2013) 113(1):26-34 10.1016/j.jip.2012.12.011
- In vivo effects of brown tide on the feeding function of the gill of the northern quahog Mercenaria mercenaria (Bivalvia: Veneridae).
Robbins HM, Bricelj VM, Ward JE
Biol. Bull. (2010) 219(1):61-71 10.1086/BBLv219n1p61
- Role of epicellular molecules in the selection of particles by the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis.
Espinosa EP, Hassan D, Ward JE, Shumway SE, Allam B
Biol. Bull. (2010) 219(1):50-60 10.1086/BBLv219n1p50
- Lectins associated with the feeding organs of the oyster Crassostrea virginica can mediate particle selection.
Espinosa EP, Perrigault M, Ward JE, Shumway SE, Allam B
Biol. Bull. (2009) 217(2):130-41 10.1086/BBLv217n2p130
- Marine aggregates facilitate ingestion of nanoparticles by suspension-feeding bivalves.
Ward JE, Kach DJ
Mar. Environ. Res. (2009) 68(3):137-42 10.1016/j.marenvres.2009.05.002
- Feeding activity, absorption efficiency and suspension feeding processes in the ascidian, Halocynthia pyriformis (Stolidobranchia: Ascidiacea): responses to variations in diet quantity and quality.
Armsworthy SL, MacDonald BA, Ward JE
J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. (2001) 260(1):41-69